Alfa Romeo 4C concept: Fiat-owned Alfa Romeo will return to North America and the 4C will lead the way. In European trim, the rear-wheel-drive two-seater has its engine in the back and uses a carbon-fibre body with aluminum front and rear sub-frames. The 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine makes 230 horsepower, but a turbocharged 300hp 1.4-litre four-cylinder could be optional. The 4C is expected to arrive this fall with a price tag, amazingly, in the mid $30,000 range.
- The first electric-powered vehicle is believed to have been produced by Robert Davidson of Scotland in 1837.
- The first recorded printing of an automobile sales brochure was for the Moto-Cycle Company of Philadelphia, Pa. in 1886. Unfortunately, there were no takers.
WHO AM I?
1. He spent most of his life chasing the speed of sound... on land.
2. He was the first to break the 400-, 500-and 600-mph marks.
3. During a land-speed-record attempt in 1996, the car tipped over at about 675 mph (1,080 km/h).
4. Time and money have run out for this 75year-old to complete the task, as he sold the "Spirit of America" back in 2006.
5. You might not know him, but he's one of a very rare "breed."
Still stumped? Craig Breedlove is likely done setting any more records, although he believes that the Spirit of America was capable of 800 mph (1,280 km/h).