SOUTH SURREY — Students and staff were evacuated from Semiahmoo Secondary School Tuesday morning following an anonymous bomb threat.
According to school district spokesman Doug Strachan, the school received the threat Tuesday morning at around 10:30, prompting school’s principal to notify police. The school was then evacuated and students were sent home for the remainder of the day.
Police are not saying if an object was found or if the school received a note or phone call.
“We’re not disclosing that at this point,” said Cpl. Bert Paquet of the Surrey RCMP. “The means in which we were notified will be key in identifying the person responsible for this.”
The Surrey RCMP dispatched a police dog to the scene, but no bomb was found and police gave the all-clear shortly after noon. However, students had already been dismissed for the rest of the day. Shortly after the threat was received, police closed 148th Street between 17th and 20th Avenue for just over an hour as a precaution.
“Our first priority is the safety of absolutely everybody involved,” said Paquet.
Check back for more on this developing story.
© Copyright 2013