A 32-year-old man is recovering from burns and a broken arm following a blaze that broke out at a house under construction in White Rock Wednesday morning.
At around 9: 30 a.m., White Rock Fire Rescue received a call about a house on fire on Maple Street. When crews arrived at the scene, they found a house that had been under construction on fire and one man injured on the ground in front of it.
According to White Rock Deputy Fire Chief Bob Schlase, the fire was the result of some torch work being done by crews working on the second floor of the house.
"(One worker) was working on an elevated roof that was overtop of a garage," said Schlase. "So he was up there working with a torch and they had a flashover from some material there."
Schlase said the worker then jumped from the second floor to the ground, breaking his arm.
"He had burns to the back of his legs and on one hand," said Schlase. "We call it about a 20 per cent burn."
With all fire crews from White Rock onsite, Schlase said the blaze was contained in under an hour, taking around 16 firefighters to combat it.
"We had it contained and were able to keep it to the property," said Schlase.