SURREY — Last weekend's big storm has closed the Bose corn maze for the rest of the season.
The popular attraction has been shut down two weeks earlier than planned, mostly because of uprooted corn plants and ankle-deep water in some parts of the maze, located on 156th Street near 64th Avenue.
"A major portion of the maze has been flattened," farmer Mike Bose told the Now Thursday as he surveyed the damage and helped clean up the site. "There are puddles on the trail, and right now it's actually pretty dry where I am. The problem is, there is so much corn down that you can't find the trails."
In terms of people paying to visit the maze, the first two weeks of October represents about 50 per cent of the entire season, Bose said.
"We can't fight Mother Nature, we have to work with her," he said. "She's chosen to beat us up this year. We were having a great season – it was awesome, and it's an amazing crop of corn. Unfortunately, amazing crops of corn and typhoons don't go together."
As previously planned, corn used for the maze will be harvested for feed.
"We will lose some, but for the most part we will get the corn salvaged, depending on what the weather does over the next few days," Bose added. "They are two separate businesses, though."
The maze was cut into a 25-acre section of the Bose farm – the largest maze yet for the family-run enterprise, and the last remaining such labyrinth in Surrey. Visitors paid up to $7 each for the thrill of walking the maze, which opened for the season Aug. 24 and was set to continue until harvest time in mid-October.
This year, the maze was cut into the shape of the Cloverdale Business Improvement Association logo.
© Copyright 2013