NEWTON — An explosion at a construction site on the southwest corner of 62nd Avenue and King George Boulevard this morning rocked neighbouring houses and a gas station next door.
Fortunately no one was injured.
"It shaked the store, everything. Me too," said Surinder Mundi, clerk at the Fas Gas Plus station.
The explosion happened shortly after 8 a.m. Thursday, shattering the back window of an excavator on site and damaging a couple houses nearby.
WorkSafe BC is investigating. Construction workers at the site, where a Husky gas station was once located, told the Now they were instructed not to speak with reporters.
Surrey RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet said the fire is not considered to be suspicious. Joe DeLuca, Surrey assistant fire chief of operations, said workers had been cutting into an old 10,000-gallon underground fuel tank when a shower of sparks caused the explosion.
"There must have been some ambient vapours," DeLuca said. "It was amazing nobody on the scene got hurt."
The blast blew one end of the metal tank off.
"There wasn't much fire at all."
It also blew some soffits off a house next door.
"I heard the big kaboom," said resident Angele Schunke. There was a vacuum, she said, "and then like a whoomph. I was just getting my dog ready for a walk so I think I'm lucky that the doors were already open, so none of the windows broke. It definitely moved stuff around the house. Crazy, eh?"
Some tile fell from a ceiling inside a house Brian Vandenberg owns next door.
"Life's too short to get hysterical, just fix the damage," he said.
The former owner of the Husky declined to comment.
© Copyright 2013