SURREY — A man who unleashed a vicious knife attack on two men near a Surrey bus stop in 2010 will not get a break on his seven-year sentence.
Anthony Andrew Larose was 20 years old when on April 3, 2010 he attacked his victims. He had been at a party, celebrating his recent release from prison, and drank a significant amount of liquor.
He was with a young woman, waiting for a bus. They got into an argument and he chucked a rock through the glass bus shelter, shattering it.
Two young men who were nearby heard the ruckus and decided to investigate. This led to an argument with Larose, and one of them punched him in the face.
The two men were walking away when Larose pulled out a 20-centimetre long knife, and said, “I’ve got this babe” to the young woman. There was another skirmish, and Larose slashed one man’s face and stabbed him in the chest, stomach and diaphragm. He then demanded the other man’s wallet and money, and slashed his neck.
“You want something to scream about, I will give you something to scream about,” Larose told his victims.
He was sentenced to seven years for aggravated assault upon the two men. Earlier this month he sought to have that sentence reduced, arguing that it was outside range for such crimes.
Justice Mary Saunders of the B.C. Court of Appeal dismissed his petition, however, with Justices Risa Levine and Peter Willcock concurring.
“Mr. Larose has a history of violent offences, and, as reflected in the judge’s reasons, a disturbing lack of empathy for his victims and lack of self-control when angered,” Saunders noted.
“We cannot say the sentence imposed is demonstrably unfit.”
© Copyright 2013