Re: "Some students allergic to Wi-Fi, says Surrey dad," the Now, Feb. 19.
A teenage relative of mine once bought a cool cellphone, even though he knew it could make him sick. He is EMF-sensitive, and microwave transmissions make him headachy, agitated and spacey. It was OK, he said, as long as he kept it in "airplane" mode - the cell helped make him feel more like one of the crowd.
Young people are driven to keep up with the latest trends and these days, that most often means wireless technology.
Unfortunately, the American Academy of Pediatrics and other medical authorities are concerned that children are also especially sensitive to all electromagnetic fields because their developing nervous systems are fragile, their brain tissues more conductive, and their smaller skeletons more easily penetrated by microwaves.
Warnings from researchers, doctors, professors and government agencies that microwave radiation is potentially harmful to children have so far been drowned out by a multi-billion dollar Wi-Fi marketing machine.
Your article about Wi-Fi opponent Carl Katz inspires the hope that if anything can make a difference, it will be the dedication of parents committed to creating a healthy environment for their kids.
Arlene Churchill, Surrey